The region currently known as Eastern-Central Saskatchewan was home to Indigenous peoples for Millennia and it is in the Eagle Hills, that Red Pheasant stands today. The land was lush and fertile, the region was known for trades as well as its beautiful scenery.
When signing Treaty Six, Chief Wuttanee (Porcupine) requested his brother Red Pheasant be the signee as he did not agree with the terms of the treaty. Following this, it was Red Pheasant that was recognized as chief by the Governing bodies. The lands they settled the reserve in was an area known for hunting and fishing as it had forestry that was ripe for the community to cultivate from and work in.
Later, a day school (a residential school) was opened along with a church. Much like other residential schools, the abuse children had to face was severe and life changing. The Canadian Indian Residential School system was created to “Kill the Indian, Save the Man” as mandated by Duncan Campbell Scott whose job for more than 50 years was to oversee the Indian Residential Schools. This lead to generations of children not knowing their language, culture, spirituality, or history.
Red Pheasant is south of North Battleford and is surrounded by several other reserves. The reserve consists of almost 1900 members with just over 600 living on reserve. There economy is comprised of agriculture as well as a stake in Wascana Energy Inc. for oil and gas. Treaty Land Entitlement (the agreement that specifies an amount of land that a First Nation may purchase at a specific point in time) has also aided in the expansion of their lands to 29 thousand hectares with plans of more economic development in the future.